Sunday, August 23, 2009

"Mother Daughter Knits" Book Review


It is not very often lately that I find a knitting book worth buying. There are SOOO many free patterns available on-line that purchasing knitting books and patterns has become quite unnecessary for many knitters! I also find that in so many pattern books I like one, two, or even three of the patterns, but it just doesn't justify the cost of the book for purchase.

When I picked up "Mother Daughter Knits" by Sally and Caddy Melville (Sally is the Mother, and Caddy the daughter), from the library, I expected to find a couple of patterns that I liked, but my expectations about ended there. To my complete surprise, however, I love just about every pattern in this book! To add to the uniqueness of this book, there are questions throughout that are answered by both Sally (the Mother) and Caddy (the Daughter), describing their own knitting styles, how they learned to knit, and where the pattern ideas came from. It was fun just to sit down and READ the book! I must say, I highly recommend it! I was pleasantly surprised by "Mother-Daughter Knits", and will be making at least three of the patterns from it - and probably more then that! The first (The swing top mentioned below) has already been cast on the needles. Another pattern has been requested for a Christmas gift, and still another looks like a promising style. The patterns are designed around shapes that flatter a woman's body, and they do a successful job of carrying out that goal.

If you aren't sure about buying it yet - look for it at your local library! It's worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment