Monday, September 14, 2009

Dying for an Experiment!

I've heard and read so much about dying one's on sock yarn, that my son and I decided to give it a try!

We started with a skein of undyed sock yarn

Photobucket

We rolled it into a center-pull ball
Photobucket

And knit from both ends (so the yarn was doubled) to make a flat rectangle (a "sock blank").

Photobucket

Using three colours of vibrant kool-aid

Photobucket

and three squirt bottles
Photobucket

my son drew a picture onto the sock blank - he decided to create a dinosaur, even though he knew full well that the original picture would not appear in the finished creation.

Photobucket


I think it looks pretty good!
Photobucket

We wrapped and microwaved the finished blank

Photobucket

then undid the sock blank and rolled the yarn into two identical balls - one for each sock.

Photobucket

I knit the socks, my son got excited

Photobucket

He was THRILLED with the results!

Photobucket

He calls them his "secret dinosaur socks" - no one knows why, unless he explains it.

All in all, I think they turned out very well, and what a fun experiment! My daughter is bugging to do a pair now - she wants pink, purple and yellow. I look forward to seeing what she comes up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment